Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I newer Stream
These days, it's hard to avoid (or want to avoid) digital audio. I was a long-time analog advocate years back. Good turntable, good cartridge, good analog electronics. But digital slowly infiltrated. Sure, in the early days CDs sounded bad... it took awhile for that to get better. Then streaming came along. It also had a lot of issues -- sound quality and convenience. Vinyl pops and ticks got replaced by stuttering and dropouts. But it also has gotten so much better. Early digital electronics such as the Class D amps and early DACs also sounded like crap. Guess what? Technology marches on and digital now is really pretty damn amazing (e.g. Devialet).

Hey, I still love spinning vinyl, but I don't do it very often these days. When I do, it's still through my Devialet which, to these years, sounds better than any fully analog rig I've owned. But I now use Roon for streaming music 98% of the time. I personally think it sounds amazing but, to be honest, the real reason I do so is equally about convenience and capability. I can listen for hours without interrupt. I can stream to multiple rooms. I can take it with me on vacation. I can use Roon's DSP/equalizer functions to adjust the sound anyway I want (although rarely do). I can store *all* my music on a small, portable harddrive. And back it up. I can use Roon as a highly interlinked library of albums, artists, composers, performers, etc... all on my computer, tablet or phone.

So, for me, the world of digital audio has fundamentally changed how I experience music. And I still have my library of vinyl albums to take me back on occasion to "the good old days".

As @David A stated... only your opinion counts. There really is no right and wrong and you can pretty much have the best of both worlds if you choose to.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA

Messages In This Thread
I newer Stream - by Finn - 25-Aug-2019, 19:46
RE: I newer Stream - by David A - 25-Aug-2019, 23:55
RE: I newer Stream - by brit - 26-Aug-2019, 07:59
RE: I newer Stream - by Pim - 26-Aug-2019, 11:07
RE: I newer Stream - by mdconnelly - 26-Aug-2019, 14:54
RE: I newer Stream - by Finn - 27-Aug-2019, 19:28