Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Q: SAM - impact on small speakers bass (i.e. KEF LS50)
(27-Dec-2014, 04:53)MountainGuy Wrote: Greetings,

Hope this is the right forum to post.  All the SAM discussion seem to be gathered in this forum.

Question - having never heard Devialet's SAM in action, I am quite amazed by the claim that it now help the LS50 to produce bass down to 28hz.  I believe that he LS50 is one of the first speakers that they matched to SAM.  That is stunning bass extension for a speaker that small.

However, I'm not sure how SAM can produce much usable bass down to 28hz and if they limit woofer excursion so that there is no damage.

A few questions if I may:

1. Has anyone actually done a frequency sweep test to see what the dropoff is at 28hz?  I wonder how flat it is down to 28hz.

2. And if it does get down to 28hz, what decibels is it actually capable of at that frequency response? Wondering how usable that is.

3. And if you use SAM with the LS50, what % do you set it and does it reduce the quality of the mids and trebles?

The claims of SAM is quite astounding to me - and yes, I realize that I'm a bit late to the party as this feature has been out a while. I've tried to google for answer but did not turn up any.  Perhaps few people match a $6500 amp to a $1500 speaker...Angel

Thanks!
MtnGuy
LS50 Bass is much stronger when SAMed.  Overall sound gets more transparent.  

D200, KEF LS50 / Sumiko S9 Sub Bass,  Audience AU24SE speaker,  Wireworld Silver Electra PC,  Wireworld Platinum Starlight, Straightwire Link USB,  Macbook Pro,  System76 (linux) SSD Laptop,  TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750.  

living in Salt Lake City, USA

Messages In This Thread
RE: Q: SAM - impact on small speakers bass (i.e. KEF LS50) - by bobertk - 04-Apr-2015, 16:25