Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Q: SAM - impact on small speakers bass (i.e. KEF LS50)
Personally, I'm mildly underwhelmed by what SAM does to my LS50's (let's say 80% happy!). Sure, the bass undergoes a phenomenal increase in quantity & control, but rather than subjectively improving the entire frequency range - as many report - it made the mid and treble frequencies seem "left behind" in the quality jump, making them feel unbalanced to me.
They certainly closed the gap on my £1100 XTZ floorstanders (SEAS drivers+Ribbon tweeter), but the XTZ still pull ahead with a more realistic presentation. The KEF's are very good at sweetening up digital music and making it more listenable, but ultimately I prefer to be told the truth!
What I'm trying to say is that I'd rather have SAM, but it leaves me wanting for them to push the frequency processing up beyond 150Hz... (not possible unless we go and fetch a Sharc DSP processor from the Future, I suppose).
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Q: SAM - impact on small speakers bass (i.e. KEF LS50) - by JohnnySix - 04-Feb-2015, 14:15