Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
roon basic setup recommendation.
(06-Dec-2019, 16:04)eladeb Wrote: Hi all,
10x for the recommendation above.
Basically i own roon 1.6
For now i use it with my own ltop dell xps 15 touch.
My main streaming is Tidal deezer and started to purchase some local hires flac music.
i have a stable wireless connection to golds will i earned better quality via spdif? guess il try both (: but on your own knowledge.

10x ,
Elad

I run wifi to my Phantoms and am perfectly happy with that.  Per my earlier comment the only drawback is that the combination of wireless and Roon currently restricts you to CD resolution as there is no hi res support in AirPlay and the Phantoms don't yet support RAAT (which many users here are waiting for).  

If you're OK with that compromise for a while I'd recommend you have a look at the ROCK instructions @nbkaye linked above and decide if you're up for assembling a Roon core yourself based on a NUC.  That is without doubt the best value approach.  If not look for a sonicTransporter, new or used according to budget.  

If you want to play hi res material then as far as I know you have two choices:
  • Audirvana or a similar PC-based player that supports UPnP (i.e. instead of Roon).
  • A PC with an optical output running the Roon Core  and directly connected to one of your Phantoms via Toslink is your other alternative, but you need to decide whether that is worth the aesthetic compromise and I certainly wouldn't buy a PC just for this purpose given that hopefully RAAT support will be available within the next few months.  But if you have one this is certainly an alternative.
I may have missed an option here but if so I am sure others will chime in.

Messages In This Thread
roon basic setup recommendation. - by eladeb - 05-Dec-2019, 18:08
RE: roon basic setup recommendation. - by struts - 06-Dec-2019, 18:06
RE: roon basic setup recommendation. - by midi - 06-Dec-2019, 20:29
roon basic setup recommendation. - by struts - 09-Dec-2019, 05:44
roon basic setup recommendation. - by struts - 28-Dec-2019, 10:51