Poll: What do you mean by "Sound Quality"
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Objective: in the air, universal, repeatable
28.57%
8 28.57%
Subjective accuracy: in my head, personal, based on a reference
14.29%
4 14.29%
Subjective aesthetic: in my head, personal, based on enjoyment
57.14%
16 57.14%
Total 28 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you mean by "Sound Quality"?
(08-Dec-2019, 14:39)David A Wrote: I voted for subjective accuracy,  basically does what I'm listening to sound the way real instruments and voices sound to me? The closer what I'm hearing gets to that, the better the sound quality is for me. If a recording of well played good music can sound bad and a recording of bad music can sound like a high quality recording, then sound quality has to be independent of enjoyment. That doesn't mean that I don't enjoy good sound quality. Enjoyment is about positive appreciation and I appreciate things that are done well such as a well written piece of music, good playing and singing, and also the sound of a recording that captures the character of the instruments and voices making the music, even when at times I don't enjoy the music itself.
David, your choice is what I thought I was going to vote for.

Then I reflected that since I've refined my system with the addition of my Devialet (and other items), I sometimes hear recordings where the instruments sound realistic, but there's something about the recording that's 'off.' Several cases where the recording is excellent, but an instrument is flat. I realized that having the opportunity to 'realize' that adds an additional dimension to my listening experience. So I decided to vote for the objective option.

I'm happier with 'subjective accuracy,' but I prefer slightly to work with 'objective,' for better or for worse.
Audiolab 6000CDT, Innuos Zenith MK II, Roon, Synology NAS, D250 Pro CI, Graham Audio Chartwell LS6f, Thorens TD-160, Pickering XV-15 1200e

Messages In This Thread
RE: What do you mean by "Sound Quality"? - by musialsuspect - 09-Dec-2019, 00:55