Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
standalone, fire-and-forget web radio and DOS2
(10-Jan-2020, 11:11)scotthar Wrote: RE the original question about Radio options for fire and forget.

In looking for something else to use while i am still trying to get DOS2 working consistently
Ran across an old RPI3 with a Digi (SPDIF) output running VolumeIO and updated the image to the latest.
(thinking i can plug it into the phantom directly to see if that works better than the dialog does)

and noticed : **VOLUMEIO** has Radio and Podcasting support built in

In theory this is even better than spark.
Just put it on your network connect it to the phantom via SPDIF.
access the devices web page and start it streaming.
not sure how well it will just keep running or not (my past experience is it needs a reboot about every day or so)

but

there is a VOLUMEIO plug in to reboot and to autostart

so you could in theory put a radio station in a play list and it would start playing when it starts up after rebooting every day.

mabye something to try

regards
scott-

Hi Scott,
thanks for the great tip, I thought about doing something on a RPI myself because I have one running in the basement anyway. Did not know VolumeIO, but it looks awesome. Best is it has AirPlay output, that would make it work even without attaching it to the phantom itself. In mycase thats perfect becuase the RPI is not in the same room. And for Webradio - well I guess AirPlay quality will be good enough ;-)

For everybody who does know what RPI is: they also sell hardware that has everything built in, pretty cool: https://volumio.org/product/volumio-primo/. It has tidal, spotifym, qobuz etc, webradio etc. Actually it is just a better Dialog with a better Spark. 

If someone from Devialet is listening: why not provide a VolumIO version that runs on Dialog, it is OpenSource? I am pretty sure this would be possible and would make everybody who paid for Dialog and needs this functionality happy.

Messages In This Thread
RE: standalone, fire-and-forget web radio and DOS2 - by gelasma - 11-Jan-2020, 15:33