Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dean's Stereo Phantom Reactor 900 Rig
Thanks for the in depth reply! I also like the stability aspect of the optical cable in comparison to uPnP.

My setup consists of a Mac mini 2014 (headless, 16gb RAM, 1tb SSD, i5), iPad 6th gen (Running only Audirvana Remote 24/7), 2 Phantom Premier in Stereo and the Devialet Remote. I use Screens (iOS app) on my iPhone or iPad Pro or regular Screen Sharing from my MacBook if I want to remote control the Mac mini.

Mac mini > Optical > Phantoms

I also have Tidal and Qobuz but will most likely stick with Tidal for music discovery purposes after my Qobuz trial runs out. My own music library consists solely of ALAC files (I enjoy iTunes - now Music.app - for organizing my library and depend on it anyways due to the Apple ecosystem) and I sync it via the Synchronize option inside Audirvana. The library is stored locally on the Mac mini (its only 300gb so there's lots of head room) and syncs to a Synology NAS which backs up to the Synology Cloud once a week.

The reason why Im not a fan of the Devialet app is not really because of the app itself, I just prefer dedicated hardware remotes that serve a single purpose to do the job quicker. While the Devialet Remote does this to a certain extent, the volume adjustment is somewhat delayed and it's also lacking basic functionality like play/pause, seek and skip). Thats why I went somewhat overboard and bought a cheap iPad and turned it into a fancy remote. The only thing thats missing is volume control in optical mode. If I use the Phantoms via uPnP it lets me adjust the volume inside the Audirvana Remote app.

I could technically toggle on software volume control for Audirvana, however that would mean I'd have to deal with volume control for Audirvana aswell as the Phantoms themselves (which i think would neither be bitperfect anymore nor very convenient).

So yeah, for now I'm really happy with my setup, i'd just like for the Phantom volume control to be available inside Audirvana even when using optical mode (if that is technically possible?) As I just finished university I am now about to move to a different space which might include a new (additional) setup. I might consider uPnP if my Phantoms aren't my sole setup anymore and the Mac mini might no longer be close to them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dean's Stereo Phantom Reactor 900 Rig - by cudifying - 29-Jan-2020, 21:09