Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade Classic to gold
(31-Jan-2020, 17:31)Nordic Wrote: I have to classic Phantom that is upgraded to 2000 w.
Thinking about upgrade to gold and wonder in is worth it or not.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

I own 2xGolds and 1xClassic. 

I am not doing any critical listening after I changed my house 6 months ago. Anyway before moving from my previous house  I had the chance to compare: one Classic Vs one Gold so to have a comparison “apple with apple” (so not the stereo Golds couple Vs one single Classic). At the beginning the difference in the output level is very noticeable. Then you concentrate on the rest of the features. The middle-high range of the Golds is the real key change due to the different tweeter and according to my experience. The low frequencies response were quite similar and not sure to perceive a clear change.

Even at 2000W of the Classic after the upgrade, the Golds are sounding far louder than the Classic. This only matters if you live in a very large listening environment. 

The best would be to go to a shop as I did before purchasing the Golds. I made the comparison with a stereo couple of Classics Vs a stereo couple of Golds. There was a clear difference in the sound quality at the same output level btw the two.
Golds are more hi-fi oriented if you are a critical listener. The middle high frequencies sounds more airy and delicate. 

In any case if you intend to upgrade from one single classic speaker to one single gold speaker,  I wouldn’t do that unless you’re thinking to buy two golds and use them as a stereo couple. If your environment allows you to setup a stereo config and money is your concern, I would buy a second Classic to have a stereo pair. That makes the huge difference in the Phantom series.

Messages In This Thread
Upgrade Classic to gold - by Nordic - 31-Jan-2020, 17:31
RE: Upgrade Classic to gold - by massi.rav - 01-Feb-2020, 09:52
RE: Upgrade Classic to gold - by struts - 01-Feb-2020, 16:01
RE: Upgrade Classic to gold - by Johnnydev - 01-Feb-2020, 19:01