Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stick with Devialet or switch?
~3 years ago, I got the Silver Phantom and I'm quite happy with it. Went to a hifi store and benchmarked it against the Naim Muso and the B&W Zeppelin Wireless. Now I'm considering getter a Gold to create a stereo pair. Unfortunately, DOS2 won't allow me to pair a Silver and a Gold together. While this is not the end of the world as I could just keep DOS1, I am not thrilled that a software upgrade is taking away the cross-model pairing compatibility and is semi-forcing me to upgrade the speaker.

A Devialet rep offers silver-to-gold upgrade for $1890. Howeverm the upgraded Gold won't really have the warranty beyond 2 years (if I understand him correctly) and I won't be able to buy DevialetCare. This route would cost me ~$5k total. 

Alternatively, I could buy another silver for $2,390 which would qualify for DevialetCare. Though given that Devialet no longer makes Phantom Silver, I'm not sure if it's the smartest idea. 

I've been looking around online and found interesting systems from Sonos and Bowers Wilkins. I found the Sonos very impressive after giving it a try at an acquaintance's apartment (not sure which one it is but there are at least 2 speakers and probably cost ~$1k total).

With the B&W 'wedge' speakers, I haven't listened to them yet but they look impressive so far (with the ability to expand the system with additional speakers/woofers). I used own 2 Zeppelin Air speakers (now given to my dad) so I have a pretty good idea of what the baseline is.

Back in 2016, the Phantom was the best in its class but fast forward to today, has the competition caught up yet? The pricey accessories (remote, treepod) also further discourage me from sticking with the Devialet system.

Messages In This Thread
Stick with Devialet or switch? - by battlefork - 09-Feb-2020, 02:58
RE: Stick with Devialet or switch? - by WTree - 09-Feb-2020, 07:02