Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plc vs wifi option
I don't have much experience with DOS1, but in DOS2, I can hear no difference at all between the three. I tend to agree with @booshtukka (at least, for DOS2). The main difference is the stability. Wi-Fi and PLC are both subject to random interference, so you will never be able to be 100% dropout-free, unless you live in the middle of a field (Wi-Fi...) and the only electrical equipment in your house is your Phantoms (PLC...).

Ethernet is the most stable one by far, if you can, you should stick to it.

PLC vs Wi-Fi ? not so clear. I personally recommend Wi-Fi (5GHz, see below), but you should experiment for yourself. If you live in a recent building, PLC may be worth a try (do try to use the same powerstrip, if possible). But then, your neighbour will turn on his jacuzzi, and bang! PLC is dead for several seconds. Or more.

The only scenario I see for PLC is when (a) you confirm that it works well all the time and (b) you wish to push your latency down (for using with TV, for example). In theory, PLC should give you better (lower) latency. But again, if you really want to have the lowest possible latency, just switch to Ethernet and save you a lot of trouble. (oh, yes: the latency setting only applies to the optical input, and you should change it on both Phantoms!)

The auto option will let the Phantom decide if it uses Wi-Fi or PLC, based on the detected link quality (bandwidth and/or latency and/or dropout statistics). If you plug Ethernet, there will be no question: Ethernet will be used, whatever the setting you choose.

The last thing I'd like to add: if you use Wi-Fi, make sure you use a 5GHz band, and not a 2.4GHz one, they are normally less crowded, and there is no band sharing with Bluetooth.

Messages In This Thread
Plc vs wifi option - by eladeb - 10-Feb-2020, 20:35
RE: Plc vs wifi option - by Snoopy8 - 10-Feb-2020, 21:25
RE: Plc vs wifi option - by booshtukka - 10-Feb-2020, 21:29
RE: Plc vs wifi option - by Snoopy8 - 11-Feb-2020, 00:31
RE: Plc vs wifi option - by quartz78 - 12-Feb-2020, 09:25
RE: Plc vs wifi option - by Anders - 12-Feb-2020, 12:57
RE: Plc vs wifi option - by Snoopy8 - 12-Feb-2020, 14:04
RE: Plc vs wifi option - by quartz78 - 12-Feb-2020, 20:28
RE: Plc vs wifi option - by Snoopy8 - 13-Feb-2020, 00:25
RE: Plc vs wifi option - by booshtukka - 13-Feb-2020, 13:05
RE: Plc vs wifi option - by max_jenkins - 17-Feb-2023, 11:36