Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audio Science Review of Expert 200.
(30-Mar-2020, 21:51)alaw Wrote: A couple of year old 200 watt amplifier, that can’t produce 20 watts of 20khz into 4 ohms (it shuts down), and no one suspects it might just be faulty? A bad capacitor or some such? Not really a credible result. ASR should try measuring a new one.

Well, there was the link to the Stereophile review which seems to highlight a similar issue.  Does anyone fully understand this?  From a practical point of view, I have used both Expert and Pro for about seven years now, sometimes at very high volumes, and never once had one shut down on me.  Yet, it appears there is some kind of test that does just that, shuts the amp down.

Can anyone explain this?

I was also a little concerned about the phase shifting thing, until I noticed that this occurs at over 40kHz.

In terms of a bit of Devialet watching, it will be fascinated to see if Devialet drop their normal wall of silence and respond to this.

EDIT: It looks like my post crossed the above from @ogs (we are saying much the same thing) - nevertheless, I would appreciate it if someone can explain this a little.

Second EDIT: @"alaw" - considering Amir's review testing seams to have junked the Devialet - I suspect offers of a new one to test might not be forthcoming. I would not be keen to lend him mine, for example.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
Audio Science Review of Expert 200. - by ragwo - 30-Mar-2020, 16:30
RE: Au - by kerkhoffd - 30-Mar-2020, 16:38
RE: Au - by ragwo - 30-Mar-2020, 17:10