Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audio Science Review of Expert 200.
I don't think its related to money either, but it certainly help in increasing visibility/profile by attacking a brand and building your own. They are trying to build a brand by emphasizing that they are different than other audio magazines where the emphasis is on measurement/facts without any bias towards advertised products or connections in the industry. (Although I do see quite a bit of bias in the commentary. Read the reviews for products by Harman vs smaller companies that have pushed back on ASR for earlier reviews). I think Miller Audio Research does a much better job at measuring and presenting the facts. I like stereophile's measurements as well. John Atkinson keeps is very close to real in his commentary and publishes the measurements even if they are bad.

Some posters at ASR are really over the top. Thats why I hardly visit ASR, although some of the information is really good. I want the hobby to be enjoyable. As Prim mentioned above, for some folks, measurement is not everything, otherwise most tube based amps will have no market. In case of Devialet though, since they tout their specs in the marketing material, its a fair game.

I feel bad for a guy who loaned ASR the amp without even listening to it. That should be a lesson for other folks to send any equipment for testing purpose. Even if the product is under warranty, some warranties provide coverage only if you maintain or use the product as directed. Sending the product for 3rd party testing is not using the product as directed.
At this time ASR should actually reimburse the guy for his losses. If you are building your reputation as an independent tester, you should have at least some skin in the game. I think publishing measurement is great, but then just leave it at that and do not provide any ratings or biased commentary. If people go there for measurements, they certainly know how to read them.
I really hope we all including Devialet ignore ASR. Devialet has nothing to gain from responding. On the other hand, if they publish the measurement here, they would be listening to their customers :-)
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1

Messages In This Thread
Audio Science Review of Expert 200. - by ragwo - 30-Mar-2020, 16:30
RE: Au - by kerkhoffd - 30-Mar-2020, 16:38
RE: Au - by ragwo - 30-Mar-2020, 17:10
RE: Audio Science Review of Expert 200. - by sam1000 - 07-Apr-2020, 18:53