Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dropout with D Premier and AIR
First, I should say that I am not speaking from first hand experience here - I'm sure others on the forum are better qualified to talk in detail about the best way to do this with an RPi.  If you're interested you might also want to take a look at this video tutorial by Darko.

The basic idea would be to buy a Raspberry Pi (perhaps a Pi 3 model B+) and a so-called HAT (plug-in) that provides a digital audio output -- something like the HiFiBerry Digi+ or Digi+ Pro should probably do the job.  You'll also need a case, plenty to choose from there.  That would give you the streaming hardware.  You then need software to run on the Pi to turn it into a streamer; since you're using Roon, Ropieee would be a good choice.  This comes as a software "image" that you can install on an SD card which the Pi boots from.

You'll then have a Roon-capable streamer that feeds S/P-DIF into your D-Premier.  Cost would be around GBP 100 based on the components I suggested, depending on how fancy you want the case to be.  You can spend more to get (possibly) better-quality audio output - for example using the Allo DigiOne HAT.  In fact you can buy a ready-built streamer using that HAT, the DigiOne Player, although the cost is then on a par with your used Squeezebox.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK

Messages In This Thread
Dropout with D Premier and AIR - by georgev - 02-Apr-2020, 10:18
RE: Dropout with D Premier and AIR - by thumb5 - 03-Apr-2020, 08:48
RE: Dropout with D Premier and AIR - by thumb5 - 03-Apr-2020, 09:53