Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CD Player vs CD Transport Advice Sought
I rarely start threads but I'm doing so now just to quickly request advice from the many knowledgeable members here. I've started thin the Streaming thread, as there is nothing that seemed better to accommodate a CD player discussion. I suspect that means I am way behind the technological times. 

We have a modest CD collection, some of which is not available on streaming services, at least those on my subscription list. So, along with the VPI turntable to play vinyl that is embarrassing and obscure, I'm thinking of a CD player. Or, a CD transport. 

My assumption is that I can buy a CD transport, which will have a digital output, and the DAC in my 220 Pro CI will do the digital conversion. Is that correct? I am assuming that I will get a CD thing that has digital outputs. 

Do my friends here have an option as to whether or not a CD 'player' should be avoided, or is that not an issue? 

I would probably lean towards a Naim player, but I see a few Cambridge transports around my end of the world. Ayre? Audio Note? I have no idea. I've seen some tube CD players listed for sale; sounds fun but I wonder why a fully digital thing would have tubes in it... remember that I know diddly-squat about this stuff. 

I don't want to spend a fortune. I'm thinking sub $$1,000.00 CDN and used is fine. Sound quality matters, but my audiophile ceiling is fairly low. 

Anyhow, if I could get guidance on the 'player' vs 'transport' question, that would be great. 

Thanks to all, and stay home for just a little while longer.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada

Messages In This Thread
CD Player vs CD Transport Advice Sought - by Damon - 15-Apr-2020, 05:16