Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying advise Phantom, Connection, Placement & Features
Welcome to forum.

(17-Apr-2020, 11:01)nostra Wrote: +Great design, great size, great sound... maybe best sound from active wireless speakers in that price range
I agree. And the key is at the price range, for both the Premier and Reactor range.

(17-Apr-2020, 11:01)nostra Wrote: +All of my smart speaker requirements are met (Airplay, Tidal, Alexa, Spotify)
This summarises what the Premier and Reactor range can do with streaming
https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/secti...vialet-App-
Sorry, no Alexa, as mentioned earlier.

(17-Apr-2020, 11:01)nostra Wrote: +Optical In for TV digital sound (btw. HDMI eARC would be really cool)
Yes to optical in. As mentioned there is a delay with the Premier with DOS2, and Devialet are intending to reduce this in a future release (unknown date).  The Reactors have AV sync already.

(17-Apr-2020, 11:01)nostra Wrote: ?With the new product line I dont have to use the dialog box anymore for stereo and optical input. Right? Also optical input from one Phantom will go to the other if setup as stereo
Correct, no need for Dialog with DOS2.  And correct, optical input into 1 Phantom to get stereo.

(17-Apr-2020, 11:01)nostra Wrote: ?I have to buy the remote if I want to control sound while not using the app and using optical input. Right? Phantom doesnt have an IR features to f.exp. get signal from TV remote
The Remote is for volume only, expensive but I found it useful.  No IR.

(17-Apr-2020, 11:01)nostra Wrote: ?Placement - how tolerant are Phantoms? Can I do a very sharp stereo triangle while putting them on stands (2m distance between speakers, 4m listening distance) or better on wall with 4m - 4m distance? I read somewhere that the sweetspot is pretty large...?
The sweetspot is large.  Need to place the Phantoms like any stereo speakers, on stands and take care of placement in room.  Better if you can do 3m apart, but 2m is ok.  I personally do not like wall placement, too close which can cause first reflection problems.  Also, never in corner.

(17-Apr-2020, 11:01)nostra Wrote: ?DSP - lots of nice technology in the Phantoms.. but I didnt see any DSP. Is there any option to this?
You can use external DSP and feed in via optical.  If you are using Roon, then you can enable DSP from within Roon.  Otherwise, use external box like miniDSP SHD Studio with Dirac Live or Dspeaker X4.

I use DSP convolution on Minimserver using UPnP (prefer the sound compared with optical) to the Phantoms.  I created the convolution filters manually using REW and rePhase.  There are also packages like Audiolense and Acourate to create convolution filters.
-----------

I believe the Phantoms are excellent for the price range (see my story in my signature).  Probably the Kii Three which includes DSP may be better but it cost more than 3 times. One option you may want to consider is getting the Reactors. They are cheaper but not that far behind in sound quality.

There are of course challenges.  Devialet are not very good with software updates and you can see many DOS2 issues on this forum.  Devialet are not on this forum either.

I chose a pair of Phantom Golds to replace a multi component system costing a lot, lot more.  The simplicity of the setup attracted me. But most importantly, the sound quality is superb and I have no regrets changing over.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Buying advise Phantom, Connection, Placement & Features - by Snoopy8 - 18-Apr-2020, 07:27