Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying advise Phantom, Connection, Placement & Features
(22-Apr-2020, 09:20)nostra Wrote: Again many thanks for the advise! I think I will go listen in a shop to it... and if I like it give it a try with your suggestions (DSP)

My right gold tend to sound louder because it is closer to the wall/window front. The left one is pretty much in open space. Since the phantom have this crazy spherical sound design, a lot of the sound is emitted to the side. If you have a wall close to the phantom, obviously, this side-sound will be reflected and thus makes the direct pressure coming from the right phantom stronger. 

In my case I moved the phantom about 1.5m from the wall, so sound is ok. But still, when I try to sit perfectly located, close my eyes, the right one is louder. Of course I tried to switch the left and the right to make sure it is not the hardware itself...

Looking at your picture I can imagine that it will be difficult to place the left phantom. Maybe you would put them even closer together – which I think due to the radial sound is a lot less a problem for the sound stage than with traditional speakers. 

Very important: Don't forget to buy the stand/tripod! also due to the radial design it makes a huge difference where you put the phantoms. They definitely sound best on a stand/tripod. It is a bit difference than when putting then directly on the floor or another flat surface such as a chair or box or something.  

That said: I have my phantom now for about three years and I absolutely love them. Devialet is really king at hardware and audio engineering level, unfortunately the (end user) software does not match that great hardware. I am still on the old OS together with a Dialog and I am afraid of upgrading to DOS2 doe to all the bad experiences other users have and the missing features like web-radio which I really like a lot for casual listening. For me this integration and all-included was a selling point.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Buying advise Phantom, Connection, Placement & Features - by gelasma - 28-Apr-2020, 21:43