Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crackling in higher bit rate streams
I have a Devialet 120 hard wired to a Netgear Orbi router, both running the latest firmware.  My internet connection is 350 mbps down.

For the past few weeks, when ever I try to play anything above 16/44 via the latest version of Roon, I hear persistent "crackling" distortion every few seconds.  Playing 24/96 files from Tidal or Qobuzz is challenging, and anything higher than that is unlistenable.  Rarely, I hear the same distortion when playing back lo-rez internet radio streams and 16/44 files (locally or from the cloud).

To troubleshoot, I have tried:

Reseating and re-routing all ethernet cables (Wireworld).
Cycling the router and modem.
Cycling the Devialet.
Lengthening the buffer time in Roon.
Rebooting the Roon server (running on a 2011 Mac Mini hardwired to an Orbi satellite).
Switching the Devialet to Wifi.
Adding a 10/100 switch between the router and the Devialet.

None of the above has helped.  To be clear, I hear the distortion when files are played at their native rate.  Nothing is be upsampled by Roon.  I have an NAD M10 in the next room connected by wifi, and all files at any supported resolution play perfectly.

I'm beginning to think there is something wrong with the network connection/board in my 120.  If anyone has other theories or suggested fixes, I'd sure appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks.

Messages In This Thread
Crackling in higher bit rate streams - by ismarketing - 26-Apr-2020, 19:53