Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to play 192kh/z 24 bit music on Reactor’s
(07-Jun-2020, 01:39)Juanbk Wrote:
(05-Jun-2020, 17:28)Charcharius Wrote: I'm no expert, and I have a lot to learn!  I'm hesitant, as I'm sure I'll get corrected -- but here is what I think I know.  Please correct me!!!

I think of things this way.
Original recording > Final Source Material > Digital File for Distribution > Regional Transmission (streaming, NAS, local file) > Decoding (MQA only) > Rendering (MQA only) > Local transmission (Airplay, Bluetooth, UPnP) > Digi/Analog Conversion > Amplification > Wire connection to Speaker > Speaker Output.

No step in the process can add detail - they can limit it though.

So, how do we stream hi-res?
  1. Make sure the digital file is what you want. Tidal does FLAC for CD-quality (they call it "Hifi") and Master for MQA.  There is a lot of debate as to whether MQA is worth the hassle.  My take is that it is -- but I'm enjoying the tinkering involved either way!
  2. Transmission is the first issue.  While the Tidal app works great, it can be a dead end for wireless, as it doesn't have UPnP built in.  If you have a wired connection to your Reactors, it isn't a problem.  Importantly, neither AirPlay nor vanilla Bluetooth can handle anything better than FLAC (44 kHz).  Apt-X (HD Bluetooth) is an option if you're not on iOS, but the Reactors don't support Apt-X.
  3. MQA adds a wrinkle.  You need to decode (44 kHz -> 88 kHz or 48 kHz -> 96 kHz) and render (96 -> 192 kHz) - each step "unfolds" details in the music file.  Tidal, MConnect, and Audirvana can decode (typically done in software).  Rendering is typically done in hardware (like a MQA capable DAC) but I'm trying to confirm if apps like Audirvana can render as well.  The Dragonfly acts as your renderer. The Reactors CANNOT render MQA (they have an internal DAC though!)
  4. If you wire your DAC to the Reactors, you can get this full 192 kHz MQA data to them.  If you stream over wireless, as I do, you're limited to 92 kHz.  This streaming MUST be done via UPnP.
  5. I don't know anything about DSD or over very high bitrate file formats, but I believe the Reactors can handle up to 192 kHz if you transport the files via wire or UPnP.
So, for our Reactors,
  • WIRED: 192 kHz data (rendered MQA or HiDef formats) from a DAC
  • WIRELESS: HiDef formats or up to 92 kHz MQA 
I use Audirvana (requires a Mac or PC) to stream and decode the MQA.  The Mac transports the decoded stream at 92 kHz via UPnP to the reactor [Note I am trying to confirm if Audirvana can also render], which DAC's, amplifies, and creates the sound.  Their iOS app is a remote control for the Mac.

MConnect simplifies the process by streaming and transporting the file via UPnP to the speaker itself.  They claim MQA decoding, but I'll confess I'm not convinced.  For example, when I play MConnect on my iPad through my USB DAC (Zorloo Ztella MQA version), it indicates that it is playing at only 44 kHz.

Does this help?
Aaron
Wow, been waiting for this info for more than a year, thank you so much, this clears all out, and for many others as well!!
So i downloaded both Audirvana and Mconnect, looks very promising, but couple questions raised again, of course if i get a DAC i will be able to stream 24 192, but having the phantoms its own DAC plus what Audirvana does with software, do you really need an external DAC?
Another question, using both apps, do you feel sound differences between them?
And last, do you feel big difference between streaming from tidal vs audirvana?

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to play 192kh/z 24 bit music on Reactor’s - by Juanbk - 07-Jun-2020, 05:14