Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clean integration with home theater?
(12-May-2020, 23:46)Laura Wrote: I can only comment on REL subwoofers, but mine (twin G1 Mk2) have two separate connection paths, one for LFE and one low level / high level for amplifier connection. The LFE is connected to the AV receiver and then the low level connectors are connected to the sub out on each of the 2 units of my 440 Pro. This way you get your effects channel for movies but then get all the subby goodness for music, and absolutely fantastic it is too! The subs can take input from both connections at the same time so no faffing around having to change connections over.

Hi @Laura - just an observation - if you're using RCA cables, then the way you connect the subwoofers now may be introducing a ground loop between your two Devialets through the subwoofers and AVR:

Devialet A --- Sub A --- AVR --- Sub B --- Devialet B
+-------------- Master-Companion RCA --------------+

Here's an idea for a tweak if you're willing to experiment - galvanic isolation of the subwoofer from the Devialet.

You might want to try putting audio isolation transformers between the sub and Devialet. This is to prevent a ground loop between the sub and the Devialet. I tried this specially designed transformer from Jensen and it works well. No degradation of the subwoofer sound as far as I can tell, and it makes me feel better that the subwoofer connection is not adding EMI to the Devialet.

https://www.jensen-transformers.com/product/sub-2rr/
https://www.jensen-transformers.com/product/sub-1rr/

Interestingly, after connecting this isolation transformer, I can confirm that the Devialet disconnects its subwoofer RCA output when powered off. I can hear the subwoofer hum from the cable floating when the Devialet is off. When powered on the Devialet connects the circuit and no more humming.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI - AQ Diamond AES RCA-XLR Link
PC - ifi iDefender+ - FIBBR Alpha Optical USB + "Studer 900" LPS - Singxer SU-6 - AQ Diamond AES
PSB Imagine T3  AQ William Tell Zero / Tornado / DBS Level-X  -  PliXir Balanced AC

Messages In This Thread
RE: Clean integration with home theater? - by hardcore - 12-Aug-2020, 08:51