Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual Pro optimal power output?
Bernard,

I think our rooms probably do make a difference. My system is in a 30 sq. m.room used only for the audio system. It has 2 large archway entrances, one from a hall and another from an open plan area for the living, dining, and kitchen space which together with the hallway area totals about 56 sq. m. and that's also open to another hallway and bedrooms so there's over 60 sq. m. of adjoining space which reduces the listening volume in the room. The room is carpeted and has several acoustic panels and bass traps providing additional absorption to that provided by the carpet and soft furnishings. I'm losing quite a lot of sound pressure from my room through the 2 archways.

If I remember correctly you're in Japan so I suspect your room is smaller than mine (house sizes in Australia are amongst the largest in the world and that goes with bigger rooms). You probably have smaller onnected spaces as well which also makes a difference. I just did a quick mental calculation. In the same room with the same speakers, you would probably be setting the volume level of the 1000 Pro at a level 9 dB below the level you would set on my 140 if you wanted to match actual listening levels so -40 on the 1000 is probably close to -31 dB on my 140 if everything else is equal. If my room is bigger then you would need to set the level on the 140 higher again to compensate for the increase in room size and higher again to compensate for my losses to adjoining spaces which are also probably larger than in your situation. Then I need to increase volume level again to compensate for additional absorption in my case from the acoustic panels in my room and soft furnishings in my adjoined area. All of that is going to be pushing the volume setting I would need to use to match -40 dB with the 1000 in your romp to probably somewhere between -25 dB and -20 dB or even a little more in my situation but then I get a 2 dB gain from the slightly higher sensitivity of my speakers so we can reduce my level slightly for the difference in speaker sensitivity.

All of which means l made the common mistake in my earlier comment about default settings of assuming that all things are equal apart from amp power. All things aren't equal. When it comes to actual sound pressure level at the listening level there may very well be not all that much difference in the levels we both listen at. I may well have to listen at a volume setting of around -25 dB or louder to match the level you get at -40 dB with the 1000 in your room with your speakers.

David
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
Dual Pro optimal power output? - by bernardl - 13-May-2020, 23:31
RE: Dual Pro optimal power output? - by David A - 14-May-2020, 08:04
RE: Dual Pro optimal power output? - by ogs - 14-May-2020, 08:05
RE: Dual Pro optimal power output? - by thumb5 - 14-May-2020, 16:14