Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Room shape..Acoustics
@ogs is correct, I was suggesting placing the Reactors high and pointing down.

Speaker designers often try to design a speaker to work in a particular sort of location, and they can go so far as to design stands to work specifically with a given stand mount speaker. The Reactors are stand mounts and Devialet could have designed them to work on the same stands as the Phantoms but they didn't, they designed a lower stand specifically for the Reactor. That makes me think that the Reactor is intended to be placed lower to the floor in order to gain a bit more reinforcement from the room, than the Phantoms get on their stands, probably because of the smaller size of the bass drivers. Placing the Reactors high on the wall, the same distance from the ceiling as their stands would place them from the floor, should provide a similar amount of reinforcement so I would think that kind of placement would be beneficial for the Recators if you are going to wall mount them.

Sorry it that meaning did't come through clearly in my earlier post.

On the other hand, I'm not certain that @ogs is necessarily correct about the need for digital room correction. @Jean-Marie is right about the Reactors being full range speakers and placement being important but I do think we can take a suggestion about placement from the height of the Reactor stands. I think we can also take a suggestion from the fact that the Gecko is also suggested as a possible mounting method and the fact that small speakers are often designed with small spaces in mind. I would think that, all things considered, the Reactors have been designed for closer placement to adjacent room surfaces than many speakers, especially most full range speakers which are physically many times larger.

My guess, and it is a guess, is that they can be placed as close to the wall as the Gecko mount places them but that you should keep at least the same amount of distance between the top of the Reactor and the ceiling as their stands would provide between the bottom of the Reactor and the floor.. In a small room, however, you also have to deal with the fact that the room isn't wide and you also have to consider distance to the side walls which are also going to be adding reinforcement. Given that the distance to the wall behind the speaker is fixed by the dimensions of the Gecko, excessive proximity to the side wall would need to be compensated for by a greater distance from the ceiling. Unfortunately the only way I know of to work out the best location is trial and error and that is likely to leave a lot of screw holes over the wall as you move a Gecko from one position to another. I would suggest asking Devialet for suggestions based on the eventual size of your room when that is decided. Failing that, I would try to avoid placing them the same distance from the side wall as from the ceiling and I'd suggest trying to have one of those distances around 1.4 or 1.6 times the size of the other.

Digital room correction is possible but even if you eventually go down that route, trying to get the sound as good as possible without digital room correction is still a good idea and might make the task of digital room correction easier id you eventually try it.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
Room shape..Acoustics - by Juanbk - 04-Jun-2020, 06:55
RE: Room shape..Acoustics - by massi.rav - 04-Jun-2020, 07:14
RE: Room shape..Acoustics - by David A - 04-Jun-2020, 10:37
RE: Room shape..Acoustics - by Juanbk - 07-Jun-2020, 05:20
RE: Room shape..Acoustics - by Juanbk - 30-Jun-2020, 19:44
RE: Room shape..Acoustics - by David A - 30-Jun-2020, 21:09
RE: Room shape..Acoustics - by Juanbk - 01-Jul-2020, 16:23
RE: Room shape..Acoustics - by ogs - 01-Jul-2020, 17:27
RE: Room shape..Acoustics - by Jean-Marie - 01-Jul-2020, 20:24
RE: Room shape..Acoustics - by David A - 01-Jul-2020, 22:11