Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What secondary amplifiers do you use?
This is a great question and I have tried this many times with using the Devialet's pre-outs to run another amp. I have used a Rotel RB1590, a heavily modified Ming Da MC34-AB valve amp and 2no. Musical fidelity XA200 monoblocks. MY opinion below on each power amp versus just using the devialet itself:

Rotel RB 1590: Gives much more prominent bass than the devialet does, I wouldn't say it's deeper but it's more of the sound signature than with the devialet therefore come across as a warmer sound. It does lack the pin point imaging I get with Devialet's on it's own though.

Ming-Da: Wonderful fleshed out sound in comparison to the Devialet, it has the classic warmth of valves and richness to the sound that the Devialet just doesn't have and fills the room with music. BUT compared to the Devialet it doesn't place instruments or voices in a soundstage it just gives you all of it at once. A very pleasant sound.

Musical Fidelity mono's: This combo doesn't seem to work, fairly lifeless sound all round.

I think generally speaking for laser sharp imaging and detail the Devialet on it's own can't be touched but for fleshed out "warm" sound other amps can best it and the above are a lot of fun to try out.
Devialet 220 pro, Monitor Audio PL500 II

Messages In This Thread
RE: What secondary amplifiers do you use? - by Nickyrboy - 09-Jun-2020, 11:31