Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EtherRegen saved my Devialet experience
(15-Jul-2020, 14:53)bernardl Wrote: Hi David,

I agree with you except for one thing, I have been facing more dropout issues with Roon Air over Ethernet than with Raat.

On both 1000 and 100 Mbits connections.

- on 1000 I face issues with both but significantly more with Air
- on 100 I face zero issues with Raat in tens of hours of listening but many with Air on high bit depth files.

So my case doesn’t support the theory that users not complaining may be using Air.

Cheers,
Bernard

Bernard,

There are a lot of people using AIR who have reported not getting problems with gigabit connections after having run into problems using RAAT with that same connection.

The question you need to consider is whether the reason you are getting dropouts when using AIR is the same reason people get dropouts when using RAAT with a gigabit connection. Devialet have acknowledged that they have a problem with RAAT but there are other causes for dropouts with networked audio than the problem that Devialet have acknowledged. It is quite possible, I'd say probable, that your problem with AIR is not whatever the problem is that people are having with RAAT because every other report I can remember seeing from people having trouble with RAAT indicates that swapping back to AIR fixed the problem. The fact that you are having problems with AIR on a 100 Mbps connection and not with RAAT on that connection strongly suggests that you have a different problem.

I see you're using a Mac Mini. Were you running Devialet's AIR app on the Mini prior to using Roon? If so, did you delete that app when you started using Roon's AIR implementation because there have been many reports of problems caused by having the Devialet app present on the machine running Roon. I'd check whether you still have the Devialet app installed on your Mini and delete it if you do. That may solve your problem.

If that isn't the issue then have you checked Roon's support page on best networking practices to see if there's anything in it pertaining to your particular setup which may be a problem?

I strongly believe from your description that your problem is not the same problem people are having with RAAT but you certainly may have been having the RAAT problem when you were using it with a gigabit connection. As I said, more than one thing can trigger dropouts and it's very possible that whatever is causing  your dropouts with AIR is different to what was causing your problems with RAAT on a gigabit connection.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: EtherRegen saved my Devialet experience - by David A - 15-Jul-2020, 21:26