Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Digital to Digital Converters with Devialet - New products
@bernardl - I cannot comment on the performance of the Weiss devices as I have never had the chance to listen to one, but I am though going to drift into slightly cynical mode here.

Daniel Weiss states he is confident that the internal clock of the Int204 is as accurate as the best external ones such as Mutec or Cybershaft? In terms of published data, the Mutec REF10 (or the new SE120) and the better Cybershaft models have phase noise figures that are pretty much unmatched by anything. So I would politely ask, has Mr Weiss published measurements, provided a phase noise graph or perhaps advised the spec of the clock oscillator used? If so, great, how do they compare? if not, I will remain cynical...

@hardcore - I think in my case I tend to look at these products through the lens of of thinking "can I use this with my REF10". Basically, I already have the REF10 so anything that has a 10MHz input becomes more interesting. Although I think I agree with you in some respects, the Denafrips Gaia does look like the more compelling product.

So, when I look at any of these products I first think "will it work with the REF10?" From what I have read, the Singxer SU-6 is a bit of a killer product, better than the MC3+USB, but is it better than my current REF10 clocked MC3+USB? Who knows, but if I was going to try something new it would make sense in my particular case to try something that can utilise the REF10.

As for the Denafrips, this does accept an external clock, but only with 45.1548MHz and 49.152MHz clock rates, so whilst it looks to me like the better product, it cannot be used with the REF10. (Actually, I could use the MC3 to provide a suitable clock output, but running a clock from REF10 to MC3 to Denafrips does not seem like a sound technical approach, too many things in the clock signal chain) As a "standalone" device it may well be one of the best, early reports look good.

Then to the Audio-Gd DI20HE. It accepts a 10MHz clock feed, so is directly compatible with the REF10. Also, it can be set to output DSD64 via AES/EBU, which the Mutec MC3+USB cannot. This makes me wonder. As mentioned in other threads, the dCS Upsampler is just about the best thing I have heard feeding a Devialet, and this was when it was outputting DSD64 via AES/EBU. Combined with Roon or HQPlayer Upsampling to DSD64, the Audio GD could do the same thing, with the REF10 providing the clock. It could of course also be tried in normal PCM mode, and here it would at least offer an LPSU powered device to replace the SMPS powered MC3+USB. It might seem a bit of a stretch to state the the Audio GD could in any way approach the performance of the dCS Upsampler, but when you consider that it accepts a 10MHz clock input, and there are claims that dCS Vivaldi Master clock can be improved with the REF10 providing the reference clock, I am not so sure. I am seriously tempted to give this one a try, I will certainly be keeping a look out for any reports or more information on the device.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: Digital to Digital Converters with Devialet - New products - by Confused - 26-Jul-2020, 12:10