Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Premier vs Gold sound and reolution
(13-Oct-2020, 17:51)Damon Wrote: I have no doubt that I'm talking to myself more than others here; I'm often slow to pick up on things that are obvious to more attentive hi fi persons. But the message hit me because I'm musing about reducing  or simplifying my system, to go to a smaller set up, and to have less money invested in the equipment. That is my feeling based on my listening habits. I just don't listen to music as often as I used to, or for as long. Our current set up is compromised by the space I have for it, and J-M's point made me realize that most speakers will be compromised in that location.

I am personally very happy with the Devialet amp, and so I was thinking of a Ensemble system, or something similar. But I suspect my room and the location will have the same effect on any equipment. Hmmm.

@tomsag to your points, I think that many speakers have a mid-bass bump in frequency response. This is not necessarily bad, as it gives a sense of greater bass that is certainly pleasing. My impression is that the Phantoms don't have that bump, but do have much more low frequency capability. As Jean-Marie says, placement may make the mid bass reproduction better for your ears and room. I see that you are aware of that already. I'm no expert on Phantoms, but my memory is that the Golds are reported to be 'softer' or 'smother' in the upper midrange and treble as they have a different tweeter.

Are you using using one or two Phantoms?

Well, let's start from the beginning. Bought the Huawei Sound X about two months ago - this was to listen to good music in kitchen. I was sooo happy with the sound that result was - I've made the purchase of ONE Phantom Premier.
Really a big step up. Why have I bought one Phantom which is in same living room as my HiFi system? Well - the System is positioned in my room far away (7-8 meters) from my usual sitting position (at my Laptop). As a person who likes to listen to music, and not interested in "sweet spot" sitting anymore, I've found the placement of the new Phantom very good, it is about 2 meters from my position, I do not care about stereo (at this moment) and enjoy much more in listening to music than before.

So, my only one Phantom is in the middle of the room, and therefore maybe lacks some mid-bass. 

But, the real question is - does it sound a little too "metallic" which is only happening on lesser quality recordings?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Premier vs Gold sound and reolution - by tomsag - 13-Oct-2020, 20:16