Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sweet Room - Kill those room modes
The link below is something I posted a while ago in relation to Home Audio Fidelity's Room Shaper plugin.  Now that we have Sweet Room, I am thinking that this might be a useful tool for anyone interested in using Sweet Room to kill those room modes?

The room mode calculator linked below is something that works well for me, although I might be lucky in this regard in that I have a very rectangular room.  For those with more complex room layouts, i doubt it will work too well.  

The great thing about this room mode calculator is that it includes a tone generator that actually allows you to listen to to those room modes.  This is useful as it allows you to actually hear the effect that the room modes make to the sound.  This kind of information is useful in terms of improving understanding of the issue, and it could then be used to test any Sweet Room correction files that you subsequently make, to judge the impact and aurally verify if they are actually having the desired effect.  For the record, this room mode checker makes it abundantly and very aurally clear that my room has a serious issue in the 28Hz region.

To use this you will need some way to send music from your PC to your Devialet, although AIR is fine for this.

https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc?l=20&...0-%20Music

I have not had time to actually try this in conjunction with Sweet Room, and I suspect it will take to time to get the dB cut and Q value right.

Maybe others have some ideas as to how this could be implemented, or other ways to address those pesky room modes?   I am far for an expert here, for example, I know that I have an issue at 28Hz, but what dB cut and Q value would be recommended to rectify?  Or is it a case that a degree of trial and error is needed?

In terms of trial and error, I tried this link below to generate some test tones, one at the actual mode frequency of 28Hz, then others at slightly higher and lower frequencies.

https://www.audiocheck.net/audiofrequenc...netone.php

I then played these tones to hear the effect of the room mode as the frequencies rise and fall.  Another thing I tried was using Roon's pararmetric EQ to make a dip at 28Hz.  With a bit of experimenting, I found a dip of -12dB with a Q of 5 transformed the resonating room mode into something that sounded like normal bass.  It was not quite right though, the bass was not entirely even when listening to the higher / lower test tones.  I think with a lot of time and experimentation, you could get things "just so" with this method.  The idea here is that once you have fine tuned something that works in Roon, the dB and Q values used could then be transferred into Sweet Room.

I can't help thinking there must be an easier way?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
Sweet Room - Kill those room modes - by Confused - 31-Oct-2020, 13:22