Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dynaudio (Evoke) + ExpertPro 220
(02-Dec-2020, 11:01)Confused Wrote: I have actually used REW, used with both frequency sweeps and pink noise played via Roon.  In REW you can generate a sweep file and save this as a WAV file to play in Roon.  The file uses a timing reference tone as a trigger to commence the measurement in REW.

Arguably better than the above, you can use the RTA measuring system which requires pink noise, which similar to the above can be generated in REW as a WAV file.  I only recently realised this method even existed after  @Soniclife posted about the "moving mic" method in another thread.  See link below.  (Thanks for this one Soniclife, a great tip, and it shows the power of this forum, we can all learn from each other for the greater good)

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Sweet-Ro...1#pid96941

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Riuwqzj...e=emb_logo

I have not enough time to fully explore what can be done with the above, but I have got to the early stages of experimenting.  Last weekend I was able to play pink noise in Roon, and play with the settings in the Roon PEQ and see the influence on the REW RTA in room response curve in real time.  I tried a similar thing with SAM, I could adjust the SAM% on the remote, and actually see the low end of the frequency curve rising and falling.  This alone was educational, as I could see that the main influence of SAM was operating at a frequency below my largest room node peak, so SAM was actually leveling off the very lowest bass versus the adjacent peak, rather than directly adding to it.  Fascinating stuff.  I will be honest here, it did need quite a bit of time experimenting with the various REW RTA settings before I could get this to work satisfactorily, and I am still learning.  That said, this does look like a very powerful tool, you can adjust SAM, adjust the Roon PEQ, anything you want, and see the results in REW RTA in "real time".

As an aside, playing with the above does serve to highlight the room issues, and also highlight how tricky they are to resolve.  Hence in my case leading to the conclusion that I really should focus on getting better room treatment in place before worrying about room correction too much.

EDIT:  How off topic is all this!  One day I will post about this in the Sweet Room thread, if I ever find the time to get everything fully worked out.
I’ve had a umik-1 for about 18 months and used it in conjunction with REW just to get the feel of things I.e. playing test tones through my system and finding my way round REW, although I never got round to doing anything with my measurements.  I find the posts in this thread very interesting. They have whetted my appetite and I think this subject definitely needs its own thread. @Confused , could you oblige, please?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dynaudio (Evoke) + ExpertPro 220 - by Axel - 03-Dec-2020, 08:33