Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No more dropouts streaming Roon RAAT over gigabit ethernet
I don't know what is the root cause, but I can confirm that it is likely to be a hairy combination of factors.

I had occasional stopping of Raat (just hitting play again was resolving the issue) perhaps once every two days... I was blaming Roon, my D220ci... until my company stoped using Symantec Endpoint Protection as an antivirus and security enforcement tool and switched to Microsoft Defender ATP.
Suddenly, no more drops....

Similarly, a couple of 3 or 4 month ago, I started to have the 'slow loading file' issue with Roon Raat, to the point that I could no longer use it (I don't use high res at all so everything was 44.1/16) and switched to Devialet Air from Roon.
This issue disappeared (touching wood it does not come back) and the only change I can identify is the regular security updates of softwares and OS running on my Mac. I did zero other change on the D220, nor the network, nor the Mac itself.

Last but not least, my network is constituted of an ADSL Modem which also serves as router, DHCP server and WiFi AP1. I also have a WiFI AP2 which is used to connect the Mac. I use PLC between all AP1 and the D220 is also directly connected through PLC.
I usually control Roon from my iPad which is connected to AP1. From times to times, my iPad Roon remote looses access to the Roon Core... but if I switch the iPad from AP1 to AP2 (the same as where the Roon Core on the Mac is connected) most of the time it recovers access. Once access have been recovered, 9 times out of ten I can switch back the iPad to AP1....

This to say that Roon protocols appear not to be as robust to perturbations as we think they would and the interactions can really be hairy...
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France

Messages In This Thread
RE: No more dropouts streaming Roon RAAT over gigabit ethernet - by Jean-Marie - 11-Dec-2020, 11:03