Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expert Pro 220 - SAM solved?
Bonjour to all from lockdown hell in Los Angeles County Rancho Palos Verdes SoCal.

The 220 is hands down the best amp I’ve experienced. Opinions abound on the best connection method. Sufficed to say they all sound great to me. I use Airplay (with ethernet) and USB (DAC to 220)

Several months in with the 220 driving Magico S3 (mk 1) with 3mtr Synergistic Research Foundation Speaker cables. 

The 220 sits on a Solid Tech Rack of Silence Reference amp stand. Also back and forth on set of four Synergistic Research Cable Risers (built in HFTs). On second floor on suspended wooden floor ( a downside) in wooden structure 18 x 24 acoustic space. No Acoustic treatment so a considerably ‘live’ environment so not perhaps ideal acoustically speaking. Sweet spot approx 13-14ft from front wall. Speakers (rear not baffle plain) set about 5 3/4 feet from front wall and close to same from side walls, so decent symmetry re positioning. Sweet spot listening positioning around 9ft from speaker baffle plains. Very slightly / barely toed in.

Have had several good amps and DACs, perhaps not the latest SOTA but well regarded nonetheless.

Experimented with several very good DACs Vs 220 Magic Wire including W4S DAC2 DSD SE, Synergistic Research The Music Cable DAC, and Denafrips Pontus. Each have their strengths, but ultimately the 220’s Magic Wire is just so good, truly world class, those DACs can’t match what it does.

Many varying opinions on SAM, mostly it seems bypassing / setting it to ‘Off’. Going back and forth over the months I like others was leaning toward off, especially as the S3 sounds so good au natural. 

The 220 comes standard with the AQ power cord. Out of interest I switched it out for another cord and found that I preferred the more free flowing sound due to less constricted center image) over the AQ, thus using it for a good while, until the other day. I decided to switch back in the AQ cord. I instantly heard strengths with the AQ cord, with more control and definitely more resolution resulting in a tighter clearer sound, BUT with the center image a bit squashed and smaller.

Switched SAM back in play. BAM! The sound was incredible! That center image ‘constriction’ was gone. Resolution was off the charts. Bare in mind, with SAM I had experienced the same as many here, with a sense of obscuring the upper mids, which to be fair was somewhat recording dependent. But now there is no ambiguity. The sound is spectacular; full and full-range, dense, layered, vast, open (Magico does this mid range openness like no other excepting the best horn compression driver speakers) so musical, transparent and resolved. No weird bass resonance or muddiness - it’s gone! I don’t know why the cord would make such a difference and the be fair the S3 is so resolving perhaps that is why I hear it so clearly?

If you’ve switched out your AQ cord and are on the fence about SAM, please try the AQ cord back in the system. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Look forward to discussing, and my pleasure to meet you all.

Sincere Amitiés

Adam

Messages In This Thread
Expert Pro 220 - SAM solved? - by AdamEOS - 12-Dec-2020, 01:25
RE: Expert Pro 220 - SAM solved? - by ogs - 12-Dec-2020, 12:58
RE: Expert Pro 220 - SAM solved? - by Pleyel - 17-Dec-2020, 12:52
RE: Expert Pro 220 - SAM solved? - by Delija - 12-Dec-2020, 14:01
RE: Expert Pro 220 - SAM solved? - by markush - 13-Dec-2020, 22:19
RE: Expert Pro 220 - SAM solved? - by markush - 30-Dec-2020, 19:57
RE: Expert Pro 220 - SAM solved? - by Flashman - 31-Dec-2020, 15:09