Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to achieve HiRes Streaming on Phantoms
(21-Jan-2021, 14:27)lkjam Wrote: Hello, I recently got a pair of Golds and now I'm in the search of the best way to stream music wirelessly via Tidal or Qobuz, through either Roon (UPnP - LMS) or UPnP, and I too await the upcoming RAAT certification. Regarding Tidal, the experience from Roon has been great, although I noticed that music is streamed using "FLAC 48kHz 24bit 2ch, MQA 192kHz", so I suppose that although the MQA file is 192kHz, Tidal provides to Roon only the 48kHz FLAC (Correct me if I'm wrong). My first question would be, if what mentioned above is true, will this be "fixed" with the RAAT certification wih 2.12, or would it reamin the same?

I’ve been curious on this as well.  I’m a newbie to Roon, but I have pairs of both Phantom II 95 and 98 and I am keen to have an MQA optimized setup.  Here’s what I’ve learned thus far.  Note I am on the latest DOS, app, and Roon 1.8 783, with my Core an iMac Pro.  I am connecting the Core to the Reactors via RAAT (wifi).

The Roon app is great for clarity as to what is happening to the sound files.
- the MQA files are typically 24 bit, 44 kHz or 48 kHz.  Decoding them (the first unfold) within the Roon app takes the files to 88 or 96 kHz respectively.
- the Phantoms of course cannot do the second unfold of the MQA (the render step) but they accept the files and the playback sounds great.
- Internally, the ADH on my 98’s resamples all files to 48 kHz. I suspect Golds and Phantom I speakers resample to 92 or 196 kHz but I can’t find that information anywhere.  Perhaps someone with Roon and a set of new Phantom I can confirm.

I plan on reaching out to Roon and Devialet this week.  I’d like 24/192 MQA, so I believe I need:
- a Core (I’m considering a Nucleus, though I will only be streaming from Tidal - no local files)
- a BlueSound Node 2i (which can decode and render, I believe)
- Toslink from the 2i converted to the 3.5 mm input of the Speakers?
- importantly, a pair of black Phantom I 108’s.  Wink

Aaron

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trying to achieve HiRes Streaming on Phantoms - by Charcharius - 12-Apr-2021, 02:03