Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Phantoms not supporting anything higher than 24bits/48Khz
(02-Feb-2021, 23:00)Vandema Wrote:
(02-Feb-2021, 22:40)streamy Wrote: I just commented in another thread here that Devialet in my opinion stretches quite out in terms of legality.
I wrote: At some point Devialet will need to explain their new product specifications. They still keep the product specs for the Golds to have a frequency range from 14Hz to 27kHz @-6dB but on the other hand there is no way to provide any digital signal above 48k, which results theoretically to a max frequency of 24kHz @-112dB when the filters are ideally bandstop. It’s a bit like the claim my Renault Twingo has a max speed of 350 km/h ... in zero gravity space! Probably, Devialet needs to go over their books not to collide with consumers protection laws in France and Europe at least.

How big is the difference actually in real life?

It's no so much about what is the difference...it's music, there are so many variables to your listening experience, don't want to go there (in my case I can hear the difference)...my issue is about future proofing my investment and false expectations. We had Vinyl, CD, MP3...PONO....now Spotify, Tidal(MQA), AMAZON...has a long time music/HIFI lover, MP3 years were dark years, I don't want to go back and I'm willing to pay for the extra "quality" and support the Hi-Res "movement" (eg Roon, etc)...Devialet in that sense was ahead of the pack, their specs were 24/192khz for internal DAC and I paid (at least for me) good money (and a lot of new white hair in tech issues) to have that capability and future proof my investment depending on where the industry goes....the industry "standard" today is 24/96khz to be considered a good quality Hi-Res tracks...Devialet with their last move basically downgraded their specs to 24/48khz, we went from the leading edge PHANTOM (good investment) to old tech in Hi-Res terms...there's dozen of other options in the market for half of the price, now it holds true the catchphrase of the most expensive "Home appliance" Bluetooth speakers in the world...if you don't believe me, go I try to sell yours on eBay and see how much the market is willing to pay for them...I know we all should focus on enjoying our music and don't look at the specs, but when a company charges 10k for a pair of speakers and in plain sight downgrades the specs of the product over and over again with no compensation to their customers something is wrong?! Why they didn't advertise the speakers has 24/48k in the first place if that's not important...??

Messages In This Thread
RE: Phantoms not supporting anything higher than 24bits/48Khz - by rsemedo - 03-Feb-2021, 01:55