Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Phantoms not supporting anything higher than 24bits/48Khz
(03-Feb-2021, 22:32)streamy Wrote:
(03-Feb-2021, 16:55)KarlMarx Wrote:
(03-Feb-2021, 15:45)denis Wrote: Yes it's playing but it's downsampled to 48khz in the Phantom like specified on the spec sheet.

This makes absolutely no sense, why would it downsample a signal that has already arrived? What is the economy of that? Especially over ethernet.
I get it for streaming signals being downsampled before they are transmitted, like Roon. Besides, there doesnt seem to be a way of knowing if its downsampling the 24/192

I would say a possible explanation, I already placed in an other thread here in the forum, is that your hires signal arrives as a stereo signal to one of the Phantoms or in DOS1 to Dialog. Then the stereo stream needs to be separated in that Phantom or in Dialog (DOS1) and one channel has to be sent again through the network time stamped or synchronized (with a precision in timing of 50us) constantly to the other Phantom to be played in Stereo on both Phantoms. Multiply this for multiroom. This is a lot of bandwidth many home networks fail. Here are the hiccups Devialet has to solve and that not many companies are able to deliver, name Apple, Google, Sonos.... All of them stayed below hires 24/192k some far away! Apple sticks to 24/48k, Google tried 24/96k, gave up on it. Sonos did no go hires as far as I can recall. Devialet with DOS1 and Spark and Dialog tried to stick on 24/192k then went down the road to 24/96k and now landed at 24/48k. The reason: only in few networks, e.g. with using PLC and ‘rural environment’, which is my condition Dialog, multiroom, on DOS1 with Dialog works like a charm. But, similar setups in cities, big blocks, with many competing networks make it impossible to meet the real-time requirements or QoS that a steaming system needs for hires. So as a consequence, I guess, Devialet had to downscale in DOS2 the internal delivery, this is after you send your stream to the master recipient through Roon, upnp, or optical, to something that works in an average network (sending the stream to all Phantoms. And then Roon asks for transparency, I.e. full display of the entire signal path from the original data on the streaming service or local drive to what arrives at the DAQ before it is amplified and actuates the speaker. And I think that’s where Roon asks for transparency from companies to receive the “Roon ready” label. Devialet bit into it at the price to reveal that what arrives at the DAQ of all speakers and they had to change the specs. This is my guess, I have no insights into how Devialet operates or makes business. I’m only an early adopter of Phantoms since it’s beginning and went through all history of these fabulous speakers, except did not yet upgrade to DOS2 as my system works solid and reliable. Coming back to the problem of streaming. It’s not about what signal can be sent to a device, it’s about what in the end arrives at the DAQ. You can blow up or compress on the way to the DAQ as much as you want. In the end what counts is what arrives there. As much as I dislike MQA it follows that path, unfortunately not transparently as simple PCM does, or Flac, Alac, AIFF, and other formats.
In conclusion: What you stream to as system is not what might arrives at the DAQ. What Devialet now specifies having added Roon is state of the art. What the Phantoms (Golds) should be able to output would require at least 24/88.2k streams being converted by the DAQ as the specified frequency range is 14Hz-27kHz (-6dB). The DAQ is capable of 24/192k. The networked stream between Phantoms obviously is not. And it looks like on newer Phantoms there is also a problem on what to optical input can take (only 24/96k instead of 24/192k what is no problem in older Phantoms).

Yes, I was stupid to listen to my dealer and upgrade from DOS1 to DOS2 yesterday. Is there any way  to reboot the Dialog and my two Golds back to DOS1? I want my speakers back.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Phantoms not supporting anything higher than 24bits/48Khz - by howcho - 03-Feb-2021, 22:39