Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can DOS 2 Phantoms reproduce acoustic programme above 24kHz?
Plenty of speculation and debate about this in lots of threads here but unfortunately having read all of them they are just that.  Speculation.  The situation, never totally clear, has been further confused by the contradictory information Devialet has provided in conjunction with the announcement of the ®evolution to Phantoms I and II.  

The simple fact is that even if 24/192 or 24/96 audio is being sent to the (master) speaker there is really no way of easily telling if the signal is being downsampled or samples are simply being discarded, in the master and/or slave in a stereo pair.  So whatever the upstream system says it is sending we simply don't know how much is making it through into the room.  As far as I can see the only way to actually prove whether the speaker is outputting any signal above 24kHz (i.e. 48kS/s) is to measure the (acoustic) audio output.  And since human beings can't hear 24kHz and above, what do you do?  Ask the dog??  I have two acoustic measurement tools at my disposal, a Center 325 sound level meter and a UMIK-1 mic (together with suitable measurement software such as REW) but unfortunately neither of these can measure signals above 24kHz.

So my aim with this thread is to find out if anybody actually has tools that can measure above 24kHz (or even better, above the 27kHz ceiling still mentioned by Devialet in their online specs) and if so whether Phantoms old or new, running DOS 1 or DOS 2, with or without Dialog, on their various inputs (Toslink, UPnP, RAAT), and with which specific Toslink receptacle, can actually output this programme.  Listening impressions are of limited interest in this context as there are way too many variables.  I am really interested to know if anyone can measure, or propose another method to prove or disprove this.

Please let's not use this thread to speculate, rant at Devialet, debate the importance or otherwise of hi res, or the value for money of Phantoms relative to other speakers.  Feel free to use the other threads for that.

Just the facts ma'am.  And civilised engineering discourse.  Please?

Messages In This Thread
Can DOS 2 Phantoms reproduce acoustic programme above 24kHz? - by struts - 04-Feb-2021, 21:39