Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To SAM or not to SAM, that is the question ...
As a new user of an older Expert 120, now with a successfully sorted Supex into phono set up, and also streaming Tidal via a Cambridge CXN v2, I am looking at a preferred firmware. 

The Devialet arrived with 7.1.1 and I have now loaded 7.1.3 - it is too early to make a decision, however the choice of firmware also impacts on the availability of SAM.

Speakers are Kef LS50 Metas, and these are supported with the Kef KC62 subwoofer. The issue is that SAM is not available for the Metas under 7.1.3, and only from 8.0 (for me this would be 8.1.3, which I have access to, and which appears to be the next choice to 7.1.3 for most).

I know that testing is now indicated (after all, it is my ears), but I was wondering whether anyone would comment on ...

1.  Using SAM for LS50 (not the Meta version) with 7.1.3. In other words, would SAM work in a close manner with the Metas?

versus

2. Using SAM for LS50 Meta with 8.1.3. What are the expected pros and cons?

and

3.  Whether the KC62 (or any subwoofer for that matter) could be expected to fill in the detail offered by SAM (and not merely extra bass)?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Messages In This Thread
To SAM or not to SAM, that is the question ... - by derekcohen - 04-Jan-2022, 07:23