Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom I White Classic Glossy 103dB
(24-Mar-2022, 12:44)struts Wrote:
(24-Mar-2022, 11:37)supaDean Wrote: Thanks. With the name changes, glossy and matte versions, I find it hard to get a clear idea of the Phantom I history.

I contacted Devialet to get a better idea of the Phantom's model history I purchased: the Phantom Classic I Glossy 103 dB. 

The customer service rep advised the refurb Phantom I Classic Glossy 103dB was the last glossy model before the release of the matte version of the Phantom I which comes in 103dB and 108 dB versions, (released in 2021).

I had asked if the matte Phantom I 103dB matte version was a replacement (upgraded version) to the Phantom I Classic Glossy 103dB. It wasn't clear from her reply, but it would appear this is the case as the sonic specs are the same. She also mentioned there was a Phantom I Premier and a Phantom I Silver (which was a 105dB version?) which are no longer produced... I don't know where these models fit in the timeline of the Phantom history.

She sent a link to a YouTube video that has footage of their automated assembly line, which I found interesting to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmingbh9jYU

From the serial number research you have done, it appears the pair I've just purchased were manufactured 2021.

Cheers.

It certainly is confusing.  And Devialet makes it so by retrospectively renaming products along the way.  For instance my own Phantoms, purchased as "Phantom Premier Golds" in 2017, now appear as "Phantom I 108 dB"s in the Devialet app whereas they are listed as "Gold Phantom Glossy" on my My Products page.  Apparently Devialet has even managed to confuse themselves!

In actual fact the history of the Phantom range is much simpler than it looks.  There have basically been three different Phantom I (originally Phantom Premier) models:
- Phantom Premier Classic (glossy white with white side plates)
- Phantom Premier Silver (glossy white with silver side plates)
- Phantom Premier Gold (glossy white with gold side plates, as well as an "Opéra de Paris" version with side plates in moon gold, a gold/palladium alloy - otherwise identical).

When Devialet updated the line they changed the finish on the speaker bodies from gloss white to matt white.
- Phantom Premier Classic was discontinued
- Phantom Premier Silver became the Phantom I 103 dB, available in two finishes, "Light Chrome" (matt white with silver side plates) and "Matt Black" (matt black with black side plates)
- Phantom Premier Gold became the Phantom I 108 dB, available in two finishes, "Gold" (matt white with gold side plates, as well as an "Opéra de Paris" version with side plates in moon gold, a gold/palladium alloy - otherwise identical) and "Dark Chrome" (matt black with black side plates)

There have been continuous changes/upgrades to the internals along the way which have introduced new capabilities such as Airplay streaming, a power increase to the "Classic" model, reduced power consumption (esp on standby), updated Wi-Fi support etc.  However the new models have identical driver configurations to the models they replace and users who have compared them report no measurable or audible sound quality differences between the old and new versions.  

Hope that helps!

Thanks. If I understand, the refurbished Phantom I Glossy Classic 103dB I've just purchased were once named the Phantom Premier Silver 103dB (white woofers and silver side plate)?

https://www.devialet.com/en-ca/phantom-s...t-airplay/

Cheers.
2 Channel Power / Signal Path: APC H15 → Mistral Audio W-3900 → Custom Roon Server → Silent Angel Bonn N8 → Silent Angel Forester F1 → miniDSP SHD Studio → Mutec MC-3+ USB → Devialet Phantom I 108dB

Headphone iFi Audio iDSD Signature → Grado GS1000i

Messages In This Thread
RE: Phantom I White Classic Glossy 103dB - by supaDean - 24-Mar-2022, 12:57