Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does External Streamer Offer Sonic Improvements?
This topic has been discussed to quite an extent already. Search for words like "SOTM", "Ifi Stream", "dcs network bridge", etc.
I have had a Devialet for over 11 years now, that is before even the wifi board was installed in the D-Premier. I have tried quite a few things and talked to Devialet engineers in person several times.
In short: USB (asynchronous connection) gets the clock signal from the receiving end (the Devialet in this case), AES/EBU and spdif are synchronous connections and the source provides the clock signal. The Devialet doesn't have an extra high-quality clock and would benefit from being connected through the AES/EBU input providing the source has a good clock. I now use a complex/complicated streaming set-up (see my signature below) for one main reason. I still find HQ Player desktop + HQ Player NAA superior to Roon server and Roon Ready endpoint as several us here and elsewhere (check out Audiophilestyle.com forums). There are not many devices that can work as NAA and 5 years ago when I bought my SOtM, none of those had an spdif or AES/EBU output. So I ended up "having to buy" a Mutec MC3+USB DDC and eventually a REF10 master clock. I have now with me an Auralic Aries G2 and a Lumin U1 mini with Plixir linear power supply added. These units sound very close to my set-up but the Mutec reclocking is very good and elevates the SOtM to the same level. However, it's a lot of power cables, clock cables, digital cables of all sorts, etc. If I bought something now, I would either try an Aqua LinQ for HQ Player NAA or compromise and use Roon Ready in an Auralic G2.1 or a Lumin U1. If money was no object, I would buy a Grimm Audio MU1, but that is REALLY expensive.
There is one thing, I don't understand though, why recloking on a USB (output) streamer makes a difference when it gets its clock signal from the DAC (or DDC) but it does. My SOtM is also clocked with the Mutec Ref10 and the difference is audible but not as much as on the Mutec MC3+USB.
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does External Streamer Offer Sonic Improvements? - by zdenes - 04-Apr-2022, 14:40