Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
System Design Assistance
I am not sure tu understand the kind of system you are looking for.

Do you try to create the absolute best system, price is not a factor?
If this is the case I would look at a pair of full range speakers that can be quad amplify and would amplify them with 4 D250 bridged in mono and do all the filtering in the digital domain.

We are speaking here multiple hundreds of thousands euros or USD, if not more zeros, depending on the speakers.

Do you try to create an excellent system with a hard to beat quality over price ratio?
In that case I would look at a pair for gold phantoms I, the 108dB models.

You are now in the 6000 Euro / USD range for a truly full range system of quality that would cost you probably 10 times more to match with a more traditional approach.

The main argument not to go with this approach would be if vinyl is a very important source for you and you want the bells and whistles of the phono stage of the experts or if you don’t like the design of the phantoms and prefer more traditional speakers.

Between those two systems, you have all the spectrum represented by picking a pair of speakers you like and sound right to your hears powered by the range of amplifiers of your choice.

If you take my system (in my signature) it’s costs about twice a pair of gold phantoms.
It is perhaps a tiny bit better in the mid range and high range, but I would not bet my head over it and most probably this is post rationalization bias to be satisfied by my choice.
It is beaten hands down in the bass compartment even by a pair of phantom II, and I can tell you that a pair of Phantom I gold is another league.

But I like my system and my speakers and I prefer the aesthetic of my speakers in my living room, so I don’t feel any frustration.

Last but not least, don’t get fooled by the apparent simplicity of system made of a pair of phantoms: this is a full range system, full to an extent that few speakers can even dream to reach. As such, the setting up, the acoustics of the room, handling the room modes is not a smaller endeavor than with the insane, cost is not a concern system I described in the beginning.
This to say, that like with every system, the end quality depends a lot on the overall acoustic setup.

My two cents,
Jean-Marie
PS: I’m not considering the Dione in this post for the only reason that I did not have the opportunity to listen to it yet.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France

Messages In This Thread
System Design Assistance - by Altie - 29-Mar-2022, 16:12
RE: System Design Assistance - by Jean-Marie - 29-Mar-2022, 21:24
RE: System Design Assistance - by Altie - 30-Mar-2022, 14:34
RE: System Design Assistance - by Jean-Marie - 31-Mar-2022, 06:58
RE: System Design Assistance - by struts - 31-Mar-2022, 16:32
RE: System Design Assistance - by Jean-Marie - 31-Mar-2022, 18:03
RE: System Design Assistance - by struts - 01-Apr-2022, 08:46
RE: System Design Assistance - by Jean-Marie - 01-Apr-2022, 16:00
RE: System Design Assistance - by Nickname - 08-May-2022, 16:17
RE: System Design Assistance - by Jean-Marie - 08-May-2022, 19:00