Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
System Design Assistance
I haven't heard any of the Phantoms in a long time, and never had much time with them even then, so I couldn't give much guidance on them. If however, your ideal system was built around a turntable and tubes I think some listening time with them would be wise. I do see that you will be streaming your own material digitally, so clearly you are comfy with that format.

My only thought about the Phantoms is that the Gold's seem to be considered as better on the midrange and highs, but I'm well out of date on knowing which model or era of Gold that would be. The Opera version is a cosmetic change only, I think.

I had a pair of the Buchardt A500's on trial. They are very compact and accomplished. Darko raved about them. As much as I wanted them to be right for me, they weren't. The bass was impressive, but perhaps a bit clouded, though plenty of it and good depth. The mids I found a bit .... uneven? Not sure how to describe it. But overall the mids and uppers seemed a bit 'cupped' as when putting your hands around your mouth to direct your voice when shouting at someone. After 60 hours or so I returned them. Great company, great communication and service, however.

BTW, In listening, as well as our normal music preferences I also used recordings of material that I played on,, so I could really tell if tone and balance were as they were supposed to be. I get how that is a different kind of listening and evaluating.

Anyhow, just thought I'd toss that thought in. Be interested to know your take on what you hear.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada

Messages In This Thread
System Design Assistance - by Altie - 29-Mar-2022, 16:12
RE: System Design Assistance - by Jean-Marie - 29-Mar-2022, 21:24
RE: System Design Assistance - by Altie - 30-Mar-2022, 14:34
RE: System Design Assistance - by Jean-Marie - 31-Mar-2022, 06:58
RE: System Design Assistance - by struts - 31-Mar-2022, 16:32
RE: System Design Assistance - by Jean-Marie - 31-Mar-2022, 18:03
RE: System Design Assistance - by struts - 01-Apr-2022, 08:46
RE: System Design Assistance - by Jean-Marie - 01-Apr-2022, 16:00
RE: System Design Assistance - by Nickname - 08-May-2022, 16:17
RE: System Design Assistance - by Jean-Marie - 08-May-2022, 19:00