Poll: Would you upgrade to next gen Expert Pro?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, an improved version would be great
32.76%
19 32.76%
No, I’m ready to move on to another brand
12.07%
7 12.07%
No, I’ll stick with my currrent version
55.17%
32 55.17%
Total 58 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you buy a ‘Next Gen’ Expert Pro?
First for a simple answer, although I am very happy with my system at the moment, would I like some kind of improved Expert that somehow offered improved sound quality? Yes I would.

Then comes the question of how much money would I be prepared to part with for improved sound? This would of course depend on how much I felt I valued the improved sound, which would require a decent audition and is of course a very subjective thing.

When thinking about the vulgar money aspect, the OP mentions a product that would be no more than a 20% increase on current prices. OK, a 20% hike in price seems reasonable, or does it?

In the UK a 1000 Pro retails for £24,900. This would make the new model £29,880. Moreover, if I were to PX my current 1000 Pro, I am thinking that the price to change is going to be in the region of £20k. For that kind of money it would need to be a substantial improvement, I would almost certainly wait a while until my current amp was even older and something even better emerged.

Or would the new super Expert still use the current case? Then we might have some kind of upgrade scheme and a far more reasonable cost to upgrade. This would be far more interesting to me than parting with £20k+

On the specifics - @Blackmorec When you mention a "much improved and modernised DAC" - are you thinking about a DAC that simply sounds better, or something that can run native DSD? (or maybe both?) If so, I suspect that this is simply not possible within the ADH architecture, which is definitively PCM based, as is DSP such as SAM. DXF might be possible, but I cannot see any technical reason why this should sound much better than 24/192. Similarly, by "dramatically improved power supplies" are you thinking LPSU's here? If so, that would certainly consign the current case design to history. (unless the power supplies were external, that might work?)

In terms of "improved DSP room tailoring" - I think what we really need is a way to load and run convolution files natively within the Expert, not Devialet trying to develop their own RC system or software. With this as a possibility, owners interested in room correction could use any software that they wanted, and the Devialet could run the resulting convolutions. With products like Focus Fidelity available now, I see little point Devialet trying to develop something similar in terms of the actual RC software. As a thought, I suspect that this might actually be possible with the current Experts, if Devialet were so inclined to develop such a feature.

As a bit of trivia, I recall a conversation between Mathieu Pernot and Jon from Oxford Audio at one of their past Devialet events. The topic of this conversation was regarding the possibility of some kind of "high end" super Devialet. So you never know.....
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would you buy a ‘Next Gen’ Expert Pro? - by Confused - 21-May-2022, 13:00