Poll: Would you upgrade to next gen Expert Pro?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, an improved version would be great
32.76%
19 32.76%
No, I’m ready to move on to another brand
12.07%
7 12.07%
No, I’ll stick with my currrent version
55.17%
32 55.17%
Total 58 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you buy a ‘Next Gen’ Expert Pro?
There's a number of things that (maybe) could be provided through firmware upgrades. Other things instead would need an entire new hardware.

Let's be realistic: Devialet has not released their desktop app for the last two iterations of the MacOS. So, my expectations for free updates is null.
Many people here declared to be happy with their Experts and, albeit I own an entry level model (the 120), I must admit it is quite spectacular, in particular thinking about how much I paid for it. But I would definitely be reluctant in investing MSRP money on a line of products that sometimes feels defunct.

Anyway, playing with fantasy, here's what I'd admire in a new Expert model:
- offering the option to order a phono stage with XLR input and current mode. I use my phono as a SUT+MM stage combination (dead quiet, BTW) as I found the MC performance totally disappointing. A fully balanced, current mode seems to be a phenomenal approach for low impedance cartridges and that option might be desirable to many
- generating an app for true streaming capabilities. I am driving the digital section of my 120 through a Node 2i (at the moment I'm mad at them as an automated firmware update screwed the ability of many many users, including myself, to browse their library on HDDs that are in their network) and the commodity to have a single software that works as a container for library access, internet radio and streaming services is nice. Many people use Roon (for me, the trial was just a frustrating experience), but I don't see why in 2022 I should have a computer active as a Core. I'd like to see a future Expert line able to be plugged via ethernet to a router and find, with a quick and intuitive app, music libraries and all the streaming services (right, Amazon included)
- regarding the sound performance, I'd like something that would enhance the low volume performance (IMHO, my Expert's Achille's heel)
- as many people mentioned DSP, I would guess that an intuitive implementation would be desirable

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would you buy a ‘Next Gen’ Expert Pro? - by docvale - 27-May-2022, 20:53