Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual-mono / multi-mono dilemma
(09-Jun-2022, 06:52)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote: Using 32-bit can be useful for those who do software upsampling before sending the audio signal to the amplifier.
I don't see the point of having a 32-bit audio input, but it doesn't use the signal as such (but converted to 24-bit).

That's the thing, 32bit audio is different then 32bit float point. When you send 32bit audio, you are still sending 21-22bits of audio there and you can't use 32bit audio in practice because that will cause damage to your amp, speaker or if they are able to handle 1000dB you won't hear anything or you will damage your hearing permanently because of the clipping that supposed to happen and block the audio to reach to higher dB won't be clipped and will reach to your ears. (A good reference: http://www.cochlea.org/en/hear/human-auditory-range) That's why the headroom that we are talking in the music should still be in the limits of the nature.

All in all, I wouldn't stress myself about this at all, Devialet is having a great dynamic range, THD+N numbers, probably one of the best you can find in the world. Just keep enjoying it, I generally criticize Devialet a lot but this domain is something they have nailed down perfectly! Any 32bit DAC that says they process 32bit audio signal, it can't be true.

One last note about up-scaling: When you upscale 24bit audio to 32bit audio, probably you end up a lot of empty bits there, there is no way to increase the dynamic range from narrower to wider. That's the limitation of the universe both for sound and visuals. You can use some machine learning models to fill that part and scale it up with some prediction algorithms but that is reproduction of the music and probably won't same as the original if it sounds any good and again be careful about what you are doing because if there is a DAC process 32bits audio I don't think there is any speaker capable of playing that at all. Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dual-mono / multi-mono dilemma - by thumb5 - 04-Jun-2022, 16:58
RE: Dual-mono / multi-mono dilemma - by Pim - 05-Jun-2022, 03:07
RE: Dual-mono / multi-mono dilemma - by zdenes - 07-Jun-2022, 10:53
RE: Dual-mono / multi-mono dilemma - by Pim - 08-Jun-2022, 19:06
RE: Dual-mono / multi-mono dilemma - by Delija - 08-Jun-2022, 13:58
RE: Dual-mono / multi-mono dilemma - by ada - 08-Jun-2022, 21:36
RE: Dual-mono / multi-mono dilemma - by thumb5 - 08-Jun-2022, 22:03
RE: Dual-mono / multi-mono dilemma - by ada - 09-Jun-2022, 14:29
RE: Dual-mono / multi-mono dilemma - by Delija - 09-Jun-2022, 13:34