Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom II questions: midrange and Bluesound Input
Hi All, 

Bear with me for the background, or skip ahead to the Q & A section. I didn't find the info in the past threads, so I started another. 

I've been without my D220 ProCI for 10 days, and the Dali Epicons's are gone. Today I started shopping for a standmount speaker to go with the NAD M32 and the KEF KC62 sub. One intent of this whole operation has been to go a simpler, less expensive, less precious system. Which is still a clear goal. Surprisingly, speakers that retail for $2,000.00 CDN don't seem to be up to the job. Surprise, surprise. 

Today I listened to the ELAC Unifi Ref URB62, the Q Acoustics Concept 30 and a Fyne standmount, the F500. Not the SP version. Not enough bass def in the Fyne. Q 30 better detail than the others, but a bit laid back, and slightly small sounding. ELAC maybe to excitable? Still, big sound and good extension, and a forward midrange. Which is no bad thing. 

But...

I also listened to the Phantom II 98 db versions. Nice, very nice. I'd get the 95 db version and save $600.00.

So my questions are:

Has anybody run a Blusound Node (or similar) into the Phantoms ? If so, how does that work out with the Devialet app as well as the BluOS app? We prefer Deezer to Spotify, I don't use Tidal and I don't use ROON. No hi-rez or MQA interest. 

What is the opinion of owners on the midrange quality of the little Phantoms? The bass is so complete that is is easy to ignore the rest of the sound spectrum. I will not consider the big phantom Gold. just too much size and cost. 

Any other thoughts about an alternative speaker? And yes, I'm staying cheap. Also thinking of building the CSS Audio Criton TDX-1 kit, with the tweeter and X-over upgrade. 

They will be close to the back wall (or front wall) and not out in the open, on their own. Just no space for that. Photo below to illustrate the room. 

The Phantoms would let me sell the NAD and the KEF sub, and I'd be super small and simple. So in terms of cost, I'd be very much on equal terms with just buying small speakers. 

Any and all bits of advice or encouragement or horror stories welcome. I'm a potential owner and I need all the help I can get. 

Thanks Friends!

Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada

Messages In This Thread
Phantom II questions: midrange and Bluesound Input - by Damon - 28-Nov-2022, 01:04