Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arch and volume control on input
Hello, a quick question on Arch: if set to a line input, will I be able to control the volume played by Phantoms by controlling the volume on the source (line outputting device), without the need to use Devialet App / setting volume on Arch directly?

A bit of explanation of my problem and a considered potential solution:

I have my Phantoms connected to a TV, currently directly through an optical cable. My TV (Sony A90J) does not allow me to change the volume levels on the optical cable, which means the only way to adjust the listening volume is through Devialet App. This is something I would like to change, as I want a simple one remote solution, so that e.g. in a loud movie scene I can quickly turn down the volume using the TV remote next to me.

As a potential solution, my thinking is to get the sound out of the TV using HDMI eARC, which will allow TV to set the volume and pass that information to the receiver. Thus I would get a standard AV amplifier (e.g., from Sony) with eARC support, which then would output using standard line connection to Arch. Then obviously, Arch would pass the sound to my Phantoms. Am I correct in thinking this solution would work as intended? 

[Bonus question: could I technically then use other channel outputs on the receiver to achieve a say stereo (Phantoms) + centre speaker solution? Or would there be a delay introduced so the Phantoms would not be in sync with the other speaker(s) connected directly to the AV receiver. Alternatively, could I get one more Arch, and say set of Reactors connected to the Arch to set them up as my rear channel. Would this keep them in sync then?]

Also on the side, I am currently plugging my turntable into the Arch, but I would assume it would be ok to buy a standard pre-amp for the turntable, which then I could connect with the AV receiver and use the input selection on the receiver to decide if I want to listen to my TV or to the turntable.

Is life that simple or am I missing something? Thanks for help!

Messages In This Thread
Arch and volume control on input - by arteezy - 01-Jul-2023, 05:27