Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Devialet bad at low volumes?
I've noticed the same sound quality changes at lower volume levels versus higher volumes.  It wouldn't say it is really drastic, just naggingly noticable and undesirable at lower levels.  I have Vandersteen 5As which rated at 86 dB efficiency.  There is a definite ramp up in apparent sound quality as the volume level goes up.  Somewhat similar to the turbo lag in my old Volvo engine.  As the volume level goes up, there is a definite threshold where things go from sounding really good to great.  I don't recall experiencing this same phenomena with my prior SimAudio P-7/W-7 preamp/amp (150 watts output, class A/B) and assumed it was the D200 amp characteristic.

I recall reading someplace (maybe here?) that a person experiencing this same issue reset the output power on their Devialet to a lower level.  I think I will try this this weekend. My speakers are specified for amps in the 30 watt up to 200 watt ratings. I currently have my D200 set to the 200 watt output.

Kenreau
Synology DS412+> Aurender S10> AQ Wel AES > Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wired > Vandersteen 5As.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is the Devialet bad at low volumes? - by kenreau - 05-Mar-2015, 01:10