Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgradeitis!
(20-Nov-2023, 03:19)LeeC Wrote: Contemplating an upgrade…
I continue to be amazed by my system and yet am absolutely positive there’s more to come. After listening to some $$$ systems with Solution and CH Precision I’m quite sure an amp upgrade I’ll help my Magico S5’s deliver there all. Despite the MK2 and soon to be Mk3 the original S5 is till exceptional and would be a small fortune to better from the used price I paid!
So, amplification it’s.
I’m contemplating a Merging Nadac and Pass Labs X250.8 not least because it’s available locally. 
That being said there’s also a Krell FPB700 in my town too!

The question is: what’s a worthwhile step up in DAC and amplifier that won’t break the bank BUTbwill be a big step forward?

The biggest thing I’m looking for is soul, body, substance and realism coupled with enhanced spatial out and sound stage.

Thanks in advance.

If you're able to get a FPB700C, grab that one. It will make a helluva difference. Next step would be a DAC with pre. Playback Designs MPD-8 and the less cheaper MPD-6 are excellent. But they are still pricey like heading for dCS Bartok or Bricasti DACs ... all of them are excellent with slight difference in flavors. What I find 'bang for the buck' is the Meitner MA-3. Check this out. A MA-3 - -> FPB700 will be great !!
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US

Messages In This Thread
Upgradeitis! - by LeeC - 20-Nov-2023, 03:19
RE: Upgradeitis! - by ray1234 - 20-Nov-2023, 09:10
RE: Upgradeitis! - by audio_engr - 20-Nov-2023, 12:22