Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom II Optical Cable - Disruptive Signal
For tv watching I keep it at minimum 200 ms. The bigger this value is - the more stable connection you will have, but also with more lipsync problem.
I can watch a movie at 200 ms without sound drops, and with a decent (noticeable but bearable) lipsync. Minimum I think is 60 ms - this translates as almost no lipsync problem but with sound dropouts from time to time.
The dropouts can be small (almost like someone will play a little with the balance knob and not put it back perfectly at 0, by this affecting the stereo imaging - I feel like some sounds does not come out perfectly from the middle anymore and moves a little to the left or right) or bigger - real big cuts from the sound.
It depends I think on how big the audio track is and how much bandwidth it needs.
For example, I have a plex media server, and I saw that to stream a 4k movie usually I need about 20 mbps network capability (in total - I ment video + audio = maximum 20 mbps).
Probably with a bigger audio track you need a bigger network band than the Phantoms are capable of, for communication between them.
For another example - if I stream from Tidal via a Wiim Mini streamer with optical out into the Phantoms (no need for video, so lipsync is not a problem like when I watch a movie) and listen to a good quality audio file (MQA or FLAC) most likely at 200 ms I will have dropouts, so for Tidal I always keep the latency at 1000 - just to be sure.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Phantom II Optical Cable - Disruptive Signal - by marius23mvp - 19-Mar-2024, 11:58