Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was the D-Premier upgrade a waste of money?
I got one of the early D-Premiers and was quite content with it (also power wise). The only problem I had was that the optical input was only working up to 176kHz but not at 192kHz with my AK120 as a source but otherwise the sound quality was excellent. Then there was the upgrade offer expiring last summer. I tried to get input of various persons to see whether that upgrade has any advantages especially as it was costing almost as much as a D-110. I also spoke with Devialet's Quentin Bernard and he told me that in order to use future configuration upgrades an upgraded processor would be necessary. That was somewhat interesting to me as I use Devialet's crossover function and a time/phase adjustment function would be very useful for fine-tuning a crossover. That time adjustment is part of SAM (which I can never use with my speakers) but now I expect that there will be no support from Devialet to implement that in the configurator.

When I committed to the upgrade via Audioplus I requested that they made sure of the functionality of the optical in at 192/24. When I got the unit back as a D250 it sounded excellent but so did it before (only a slight different sonic signature). But the optical input now worked only up to 96/24 and it sound significantly less good (thin and brighter).
I contacted Audioplus and Devialet. They told me that it would be possible to replace that optical input receiver (why not the right one during upgrade as requested) but that story constantly changed and now after 7 month of complaining no solution in sight!

Early on I was o.K. with AIR and WiFi and it worked even without router in adhoc mode (limited to 96/24). Now AIR is not working for me (+/- router) and finally also had too many problems with ethernet direct that I completely gave up on AIR. I am using now Audirvana Plus and USB for computer audio. But a good USB-SDIF/AES converted like Audiobyte  etc. would be less than 1/4 of the cost of the upgrade!

I would like to hear from other forum members who did that upgrade about their long term opinion.

Messages In This Thread
Was the D-Premier upgrade a waste of money? - by Music or sound - 11-Mar-2015, 19:16