Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power output vs nominal impedance
Hi everyone,

I have a couple of doubts regarding the power output/impedance relationship.

My Olympicas are rated at 4 ohms and the so called "suggested amplifier power output (without clipping)" goes from just 50 to 250W (per channel, I assume). Now, the D200 may provide up to 200W per channel through 6 ohm. If we lower the impedance, as in my case, the power delivered would be greater, am I correct? If so, by how much?
I'm sure someone may be able to throw in a basic formula to accurately calculate the max power output needed to drive any pair of speakers given their rated impedance.

The thing is that, as I haven't been able to notice any difference at 200W, I have lowered the power output to 170W, just to keep the temperatures lower in an attempt to increase the lifespan of my beloved amp. Ultimately, I would like to know what max power to set on the configurator so that my Olympicas receive under 250W through their 4 Ohms. I know SAM protects the drivers but I would like to still optimize further.

I believe not, but if needed to answer my question, the sensitivity (understood as 2.83V/1m) of this speakers are 88 dB.

Thank you guys in advance.

ML
Aurender X100 >> Totaldac USB cable >> D200 >> SF Olympica II

Italy

Messages In This Thread
Power output vs nominal impedance - by MusicLover - 13-Mar-2015, 14:23
Power output vs nominal impedance - by amabrok - 13-Mar-2015, 15:03