Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Initial Questions from New D200 Owner...
I have recently acquired a D200 and am new to this site. Actually I have been a very interested reader for some time whilst I was deliberating and so thanks to all the organisers and posters for the very useful info.

My previous system was a combination of Benchmark DAC1 and T+A (R-series) integrated amp and separate decoder along with Piega C3 & C2 LTD (and Piega subwoofer MKII). I really wanted to simplify my system and eliminate as many cables and remotes as possible and still maintain (or improve) the sonics. I had toyed with the idea of a Naim SuperUniti but became intrigued by the very innovative and aesthetic approach of Devialet, not to mention the widespread good reviews. So here I am, having doubled my original budget! I am based in Moscow but managed to find a dealer who had a demo D120 on offer. I initially took this and was immediately impressed by the very sweet-sounding delivery. However, there was no subwoofer board available and I was also concerned about max power for my Piegas so decided to swap it for the D200 which I now have which is a brand new unit.

I read from another poster here about being “sceptical but gullible”. This describes me also and having never believed in the concept of “burn-in”, I now find myself reconsidering. The D200 is not (yet) as sweet as the D120 (still seems a little rough around the edges) but I have the impression after 1 week that it is improving.. This may be psychological but this is how it seems. For sure I am now very much hoping that burn-in is real and that my new toy will continue to get better! In any event it is at least on the same level as my previous system, if not significantly better, but is way simpler (fewer boxes, cables and remotes), and looks much sleeker.

I am running the unit using MacMini/iTunes via USB and AIR over Ethernet (via switch, not direct) and prefer the AIR slightly but will keep experimenting. I have connected the subwoofer via mono with one cable but am not yet happy with the integration and will try stereo and play with the settings. In fact, I have just ordered new subwoofer cables as well as a whole bunch of other new cables (nothing special but I hope basic good quality). I am not really expecting any audible improvements but do expect reliability and longevity (I am generally very sceptical - potentially gullible! - about cables, especially digital ones).

I have a couple of initial questions if I may. Is Devialet planning a better remote concept? The remote itself is great but one aspect seems massively flawed to me: In my view the display on the main unit should be replicated on the remote to provide user feedback. I find myself walking over to the unit to confirm button pushes, particularly source changes, and this surely defeats the objective of a remote? Of course it is possible to use an iPhone but this is fiddly requiring clearing of the lock screen, launching of the app, etc. And the remote is otherwise beautiful… Such a shame!

Also, is it possible to alter the phase in the configurator? I saw a post here from someone who initially  thought they had a performance issue but realised the phase setting was wrong.

Thanks for any input or comments!

Messages In This Thread
Initial Questions from New D200 Owner... - by Clark - 19-Mar-2015, 10:37