Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Initial Questions from New D200 Owner...
(07-Apr-2015, 13:14)thumb5 Wrote: Could it be that your speakers and sub are effectively out of phase at some low frequency, so when both are full-range the effect is a cancellation at that frequency?

I had a similar problem and concluded that was the reason; at least, I got a flatter measured (in-room) response by changing the input polarity on my sub.

(02-May-2015, 13:32)f1eng Wrote: if you set the same turnover frequency for both mains and sub you will get a peak at that frequency since both will be reproducing the same music at the same time. It is the wrong thing to do, in either an active or passive crossover.

Depending on the slope of filter you choose the bass needs to roll of at a lower frequency and the mains at a higher, such that the sum of the two is equal at your chosen crossover frequency.

This makes logical sense, thanks for the input. I guess trial and error is in order in the absence of measuring equipment. Any idea what “typical” values might be for the sub and mains for a smooth transition? (according to a spec sheet, the frequency response on the mains seems to drop at around 50Hz). At the moment I have set both at 60Hz - generally sounds ok but the bass is perhaps a little prominent so this is the presumably the effect you are referring to...

Messages In This Thread
RE: Initial Questions from New D200 Owner... - by Clark - 05-May-2015, 10:15